Meeting Courmayeur 27th May 2006
Different topich have been discussed, most of the members of the UIAA Commission, Organizers, local representatives and climbers were present. Workgroups for different topics have been formed and it has been decided that all the organizers wishing to organize a World cup event must first prove their ability by organizing an international event according to all UIAA regulations. So this season we'll only have 3 events, but it is sure that they will be on high level, well organized, with good routes and judged upon same rules.
Here is the new forum for ice climbing competitions and ice conditions - please use it after it starts freezing to get fresh info of where it is possible to climb.
Ice World cup has finished in Hemsedal (World's most
expensive city) and I hope we'll see each other next year again. The page
with an article about Hemsedal will be online till end of the week. Here is the
ranking for the World cup and here are
results from Hemsedal. An article
Saas Fee 2006
The competition in Saas Fee is the one where the best
athlets in both disciplines (speed and difficulty) match every year.
Before the competition there was also a training course for the new judges.
Some more pics from Saas Fee
Spicak Czech Republic - winner Simon Wandeler, 2nd
Marcus Bendler, 3rd Harry Berger among 23 competitors. Women - 1st ines
Papert, 2nd Ksenja Sdobnikova, 3rd Anna Toretta among 8 women
Val Daone - Samuel Anthamatten and Harry Berger share
1st place, Herbert Klammer 3rd!
Slovenian cup (Slovenija) final ceremony has been on 10th of March - more under SLO cup page
First competitions have been held and it seems that they still attract a lot of competitors and very few sponsors. Maybe we should also work harder to attract the sponsors and local communities to support this sport...
We announce the tragical news that our friend and ice climbing enthusiast Michael Boos Diehl died on the North Face route on Mt. Robson on July 29th. The cause of the avalanche appeared to be from a large cornice release. He has been the soul of IWC in 2002 and 2003 and he was the one who made the Ice climbing competition rules that are now used around the world.
Please report me all the scheduled competitions and events in the season 2006/2007 !
Schedule for the winter World cup 2006/2007 competitions:
1. Val Daone Italy 19.– 21.January 2007 – World Championship Boulder
2. Saas Fee Switzerland 1.– 3. February 2007 – World Championship Difficulty
3. Busteni Rumania 8.– 11.February 2007 – World Championship Speed
1. Italian drytooling competition 23.september 2006
IX. International Dry
Tooling and Ice Climbing Competition 2.-4.Feb.2007,
Ice climbing World cup
1.Val Daone (boulder+speed) 19.-22.1.2006
2. Špièak Czech Republic (diff.+speed) 27.-28.1.2006
3.Saas Fee (difficulty+speed) 4.-5.2.2006
4. Busteni Romunia 10.-11.2.2006
1. Italian cup - 7 competitions!
2. Slovenian cup - 4 competitions
3. Croatian cup - 3 competitions
4. Drytooling competition Bratislava 3.12.2005 Info
5. 6.Int. Meisterschaften Kötschach-Mauthen 7.-8.1.2006
6. 6. Kärntner und Osttiroler Meisterschaft im Eisklettern-Kötschach - Mauthen 14.-15.1.2006
7.Mojstrana speed and difficulty competition 11.-12.2. 2006 Slovenija
Schedule for the winter 2005/2006 ice meetings:
1. Fournel ice climbing event 4.-8.1.2006 France
3.Ice climbing festival Kandersteg 6.-8.1.2006 Switzerland
4.Ouray Ice festival 11.-15.1.2006 USA
5. 9th meeting Festiglace du Québec 17-19.2. 2006 Canada
6.Rjukan Ice festival 24.-26.2.2006 Norway